Release Notes for Synology Assistant
Synology Assistant is a desktop utility that searches for Synology servers within the local area network. It allows you to search and connect to your Synology server or set up Wake on LAN (WOL).
Compatibility & Installation
- For security reasons, servers with software versions (DSM 6.2.3 and earlier or DSM UC 3.0.1 and earlier) that do not support password encryption will not be displayed on Synology Assistant by default. Please refer to this article for more information.
- Improved connection security by modifying the network drive mapping process.
- Fixed an issue where text might be unreadable in macOS when Dark Mode is applied.
- Fixed an issue where Synology Assistant might not operate properly on macOS Big Sur under certain conditions.
- Add security warnings to processes that require the entry of administrator account and password.
- Fixed a security vulnerability (Synology-SA-19:38).
Minor bug fixes.
Enhanced the security during the installation of Synology Assistant.
- Allows clean installing DSM on a "migratable" NAS.
- Allows the admin group to run the memory test for NAS.
- Allows the admin group to configure IP address for NAS which is in the status of "Connection failed."
- Minor bug fixes.
- Fixed an issue in which the layout could not be displayed properly on monitors with 4K resolution.
- Minor bug fixes.
- Synology Assistant is now digitally signed for Mac running 10.9.5 and later.
- Synology Assistant offers DEB and RPM installers for Linux computers.
- Minor bug fixes.
- Enhanced system checking mechanism.
- Minor bug fixes
- Added KDE Linux GUI support.
Limitations & Known Issues
- MFP (Multifunction Printer) does not support Windows 10.
- 5002 will be the last version with built-in MFP (Multifunction Printer) function.
- 5002 will be the last version with built-in Photo Uploader function.
- Removed the Resource Monitor feature.
- Removed Photo Station Uploader in 64-bit Linux version.
- Enhanced the compatibility of network MFP drivers with Windows 8.1.
- Renewed the code signing certificates so unnecessary "Unknown Publisher" warnings no longer appear on Windows and Mac computers during installation.
- Photo Station Uploader feature is now removed in Synology Assistant on Windows and Mac.
- Fixed minor bugs.
- Bug Fixes.
- You can now set up network printers connected to DiskStation on a Windows PC.
- Upgraded to support Synology RS10613xs+.
- Improved the compatibility with DNG files created by Adobe Lightroom 4.1 when you're using Photo Uploader.
- Improved the speed of uploading photos to Photo Station.
- Improved the compatibility of Mac OS X 10.8.
- Fixed an issue where you may not convert .mts video files with Photo Uploader.
- Added the feature to monitor the file system check progress.
- Fixed an issue that modified date of uploaded photos was unexpectedly changed.
- Now you will have the option to create the Synology Hybrid RAID volume at the first-time DSM installation on your new DiskStation.
- Now you will have better quality of converted videos when uploading them to Photo Station.
- Background mode is now supported to allow you to easily manage the connection status of your multifunction printer.
- (18008) Keep and update the sorted list for DiskStations after refreshing or restarting Synology Assistant.
- Function tab customization is added to allow users to set up the default function tabs at startup.
- Improved UI allows users to switch functions between tabs.
- (14296) Fixed the issue of Photo Uploader converting video files in Windows.
- (14098) Enhanced Photo Uploader AVI converting in Synology Assistant on Mac and Linux.
- Photo Uploader: Photo Uploader utility allows uploading photos and videos to the DiskStation which photo thumbnails and H.264 films pre-generated with the client computer.
- Wake on LAN*: A Wake on LAN utility allows remotely turning on the DiskStation over the local area network by entering the device MAC address.
- Improved search function of Synology Assistant (Mac OS) in Wi-Fi environments.
- Linux Version Support: Linux version Synology Assistant is now available.
- Resource Monitor: CPU usage, memory usage, network flow and volume usage are displayed on an organized panel for easy access without login into management UI. Monitoring multiple DiskStations is also allowed.
- Batch DiskStation Installation: Installing firmware for multiple un-configured DiskStations on a batch basis is now available.
- UI Enhancements:
- Resizable window: The application window is now resizable to fit user's preference.
- Search progress bar: A search progress bar is now shown at the bottom of the application window.
- Sort-able attributes: DiskStations listed are now able to be sorted by different attributes such as server name or IP address.
- Preferences: The Preferences page allows you to change the application display language, set the start page and enable memory test function.
- OS Support:
- Windows 2000 onward
- Mac OS X 10.3 onward
- Linux Ubuntu 8, 9
- Resource Monitor and memory test functions are available only on DiskStation with firmware DSM 2.2-0914 and onward.
- The Linux version is optimized for Ubuntu distribution version 8 and 9. Users can still try it on other Linux distributions for evaluation purpose only.
- Memory test tool is designed for system diagnosis purpose.