Synology® announces Plus Series HDDs: reliable drives for home and office systems
Bellevue, WA—31 May, 2023—Synology announced the launch of its Plus Series SATA HDDs, specifically designed to meet the reliability, endurance, and performance requirements of 24/7 storage in Synology entry-level and mainstream systems.1
The Plus Series drives provide an additional option for users needing reliable performance, and joins the existing compatibility list of third-party drives for entry-level and mainstream models. These hard drives have been rigorously tested and validated with Synology systems to ensure consistent performance in multi-user environments.
Key features of Synology Plus Series HDDs include:
- Reliable always-on operation: With 1 million hours mean time between failures (MTBF)2 and 180 TB/year workload rating,3 these CMR drives provide up to three times the endurance rating of conventional desktop hard drives
- Tested for maximum reliability: Over 300,000 hours of stringent compatibility and stress testing ensure smooth operation even under multi-user workloads
- Seamless firmware updates: Users can update drives directly from Synology's DiskStation Manager (DSM), eliminating the need to remove drives and perform manual updates
- One-stop support: Customers can receive technical support and process returns by contacting Synology directly through their Synology Account
- Four different capacities: The Plus Series HDDs come in 4 TB, 6 TB, 8 TB, and 12 TB models, catering to various storage needs and budgets
"Designed with Synology systems in mind, these drives are perfect for users who need dependable storage with the added convenience of DSM firmware updates and a single window of support for all system issues," said Peggy Weng, product manager at Synology.
Synology Plus Series HDDs offer a perfect balance of reliability and convenience for home and small office users, providing a dependable solution to meet their storage needs, whether for file sharing, data backup, or surveillance recording.
The Synology Plus Series SATA HDDs are available at MSRPs of $89.99, $149.99, $189.99, and $249.99 for the 4TB, 6TB, 8TB, and 12TB capacities respectively.
|Interface||SATA 6 Gb/s|
|Capacity5||4 TB||6 TB||8 TB||12 TB|
|Rotational speed||5,400 rpm||7,200 rpm|
|Interface speed||SATA 6 Gb/s|
|Cache (MB)||256 MB|
|Maximum sustained data transfer speed (typical)||202 MB/s||202 MB/s||202 MB/s||240 MB/s|
|Mean time between failures (MTBF)||1,000,000 hours|
|Workload rating||180 TB/year data write/read|
|Warranty6||3-year limited warranty|
- See compatibility list for supported storage systems.
- Mean time between failures (MTBF) is not an estimate or guarantee of product life. It is a statistical value related to mean failure rates for a large number of products and may not accurately reflect actual operation. Actual operating life of the product may be different from the MTBF.
- Workload rating is defined as the amount of data written, read, or verified by commands from a host system.
- "3.5-inch" describes the form factor of HDDs. It does not indicate the physical size of the drives.
- Definition of capacity: When describing hard drive capacity, a terabyte (TB) is defined as 1,000,000,000,000 bytes. However, computer operating systems report storage capacity using powers of 2 for the definition of 1 GB = 230 = 1,073,741,824 bytes. This means operating systems will report less available storage capacity. Available storage capacity will also vary based on file sizes, formatting, settings, software, and operating system used. Actual formatted capacity may vary.
- The warranty period starts from the purchase date as stated on your receipt of purchase. Learn more about our limited product warranty policy.
Synology at a glance
Staying at the forefront of data management, Synology innovates and adapts to ever-evolving technologies, and continues bringing new possibilities to the table, including but not limited to solutions for data storage and backup, file collaboration, video management, and network infrastructure – all designed with one goal in mind – presenting a centralized platform to simplify IT administration while driving digital transformation for businesses worldwide.