Please read the following before installing this beta software.
- For evaluation only - This beta software is for evaluation purposes only and should not be installed in production environments. We strongly recommend reading the Release notes section before the installation. Synology cannot be held responsible for any damage, such as accidental data loss, caused by this beta software.
- Not downgradable - After installation, your NAS will not be able to roll back to the previous official version of this software.
To install the beta software on your Synology NAS:
- Visit DiskStation Manager 7.0 Beta Download Center to download the latest DSM update to your local computer.
- Go to Control Panel > Update & Restore >Manual DSM Update to enter the Manual DSM Update Page.
- Click Browse to select the update file.
- Click OK to update your DSM. The system will reboot automatically when the update completes.
- Go to Support Center from the main menu to help us report any issues or suggestions.
Please read the following guidelines before installing the DSM compatible software.
- Synology NAS with external network access - DSM packages will automatically be upgraded to its DSM 7.0 Beta compatible version once your DSM has upgraded to DSM 7.0 Beta.
- Synology NAS without external network access - Please go to DiskStation Manager 7.0 Beta Download Center for manual downloads.
- For Utilities/mobile apps, please go to DiskStation Manager 7.0 Beta Download Center for manual downloads.
20-series:FS6400, FS3600, FS3400, SA3600, SA3400, SA3200D, RS820RP+, RS820+, DS1520+, DS920+, DS720+, DS620slim, DS420+, DS420j, DS220+, DS220j, DS120j
19-series:RS1619xs+, RS1219+, RS819, DS2419+, DS1819+, DS1019+, DS419slim, DS119j
18-series:FS1018, RS3618xs, RS2818RP+, RS2418RP+, RS2418+, RS818RP+, RS818+, DS3018xs, DS1618+, DS918+, DS718+, DS418, DS418play, DS418j, DS218+, DS218, DS218play, DS218j, DS118
17-series:FS3017, FS2017, RS18017xs+, RS4017xs+, RS3617xs+, RS3617RPxs, RS3617xs, RS217, DS3617xs, DS1817+, DS1817, DS1517+, DS1517
16-series:RS18016xs+, RS2416RP+, RS2416+, RS816, DS916+, DS716+II, DS716+, DS416, DS416play, DS416slim, DS416j, DS216+II, DS216+, DS216, DS216play, DS216j, DS216se, DS116
15-series:RS815RP+, RS815+, RS815, RC18015xs+, DS3615xs, DS2415+, DS2015xs, DS1815+, DS1515+, DS1515, DS715, DS415+, DS415play, DS215+, DS215j, DS115, DS115j
14-series:RS3614xs+, RS3614RPxs, RS3614xs, RS2414RP+, RS2414+, RS814RP+, RS814+, RS814, RS214, DS414, DS414slim, DS414j, DS214+, DS214, DS214play, DS214se, DS114
13-series:RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS713+, DS213j
- A new revision of Storage Manager:
- Added visuals of Synology NAS models with their drive slots, expansion units, and built-in M.2 slots to help users view drive status.
- Enhanced usability with a clearer display of the relationship between storage pools, volumes, and SSD caches.
- Enhanced the setup process of Hot Spare and Data Scrubbing.
- Added a feature to guide users through configuring newly inserted drives.
- New features of storage pools, volumes, and drives:
- Supports performing different tasks on different storage pools simultaneously.
- Supports updating the firmware for Synology drives.
- Enhanced the access performance of RAID 6 by 80% on certain models with Broadwell and Grantley CPUs: FS1018, SA3400, RS1619xs+, DS3018xs, and FS3017.
- Enhanced the access performance of degraded RAID 6 by 70%.
- Added display of the storage usage of each category item on Btrfs volumes.
- Added a new Fast Repair mechanism to reduce the time needed for RAID repair based on storage usage and thus reduce the time of RAID degradation.
- Added the ability to replace a drive in a healthy storage pool with an unused one without interrupting services or causing storage pool degradation.
- Added the ability to automatically replace “Critical” or “Failing” drives in protected storage pools with Hot Spare.
- Added the Auto Repair feature to automatically run a RAID repair when a malfunctioned drive is replaced with a healthy one in the same drive slot.
- Added the ability to eject a storage pool on an expansion unit to ensure the safe removal of drives without interrupting system services.
- Added the ability to mount storage pools from drives that are inserted after the device has been powered on without interrupting system services.
- Added support for Western Digital® Device Analytics™ (WDDA) health analytics service for compatible WD Purple™, Red™, and Red™ Pro drives.
- New features of SSD Cache:
- Added the ability to create and remove SSD caches without interrupting system services.
- Added the new SSD Cache Advisor to monitor I/O accesses and provide more accurate capacity recommendations.
- Added the ability to pin all Btrfs metadata to SSD caches to enhance the performance of accessing small files and shorten the response time when accessing files regularly.
- Added the ability to activate automatic protection on SSD read-write caches with multi-drive fault tolerance.
- Added support for the quick write-back mechanism, delivering a three times faster synchronization from SSD caches to HDDs when automatic protection is activated.
- A new revision of Storage Manager:
- Revamped the display of recorded performance metrics with a finer granularity of data points and the ability to focus on certain time points.
- Enhanced monitoring transparency of system services by separating larger, unrelated processes.
- Added the ability to manage currently accessed files and their connected users to better handle locked files.
File System/File Services
- Supports enabling/disabling file compression for shared folders created on DSM 7.0.
- Enhanced file compression ratio and added display for the current ratio for each shared folder.
- Added support for cross-protocol locking between SMB and AFP.
- Supports accessing encrypted shared folders via NFS.
- Enhanced Btrfs performance and lowered I/O latency.
- Modularized the SMB file service into a package.
- Allows users to enable/disable SMB transfer logs for permission changes, providing more flexible transfer logs.
- Enhanced the encryption performance by up to 10% on certain models with the x86 platform.
- In Windows File Explorer, users can now search for the files and their content in indexed folders.
- Enhanced the password policy. Passwords must exclude username and description, include both upper-case and lower-case letters as well as numerical digits. The minimum password length is 8 characters.
- Added the ability to delegate predefined administrator roles to non-administrator user accounts and allow them to manage certain services and system settings, offering more flexible permission management.
- Added the ability to require imported users to change their passwords after their initial DSM logins.
- Added the ability to assign user accounts from import lists to specific groups.
- Enhanced LDAP client authentication performance by reducing the number of queries sent with a caching mechanism.
- The following services and packages now support UPN logins: Synology Assistant, Hyper Backup, Synology Mail Server, Synology Calendar, and Shared Folder Sync.
- Enhanced domain database synchronization performance by syncing only altered data.
- Added the ability to block USB and console ports.
- Enhanced QuickConnect connection process to strengthen security.
- Provides only TLS 1.3 support for the Modern Compatibility option for TLS/SSL profile level.
- Added the ability to set 2-factor authentication as mandatory for specific users or groups.
- Enhanced user experience for DSM first-time installation and Synology Account related service setup (e.g. QuickConnect).
- Added information and usage tips about security, notification, and other recommended settings in DSM Help.
- Added the ability to back up DSM system configuration to a connected Synology Account.
- Added support for application webhook integration to send system notifications to Synology Chat and other third-party applications.
- Added severity levels to notifications for better categorization of events.
- Enhanced user interface responsiveness to launch installed packages and services faster.
- Enhanced login performance when connecting from external networks.
- Enhanced user experience for package update processes by displaying the update status with package icons on the DSM desktop.
- Supports resetting the passwords of all user accounts in the administrators group by pressing the RESET button on Synology NAS for 4 seconds.
- Enhanced Control Panel usability by reorganizing related functionality together:
- Added a new Synology Account tab to consolidate future services provided through Synology Account.
- Consolidated Domain/LDAP options to be configured in a new unified wizard.
- Consolidated QuickConnect settings into the External Access tab.
- Consolidated User and Groups settings.
- Consolidated Theme and Application Portal options into Login Portal tab.
- Consolidated email notification options into Notification > Email tab.
- Consolidated WS-Discovery into File Services > SMB.
- Consolidated Network > DSM Settings into Login Portal > Web Services.
- Relocated the SMB Server Signing option to File Services > SMB > Advanced Settings.
- Moved Shared Folder Sync into the File Services tab.
- Moved the Enforce 2-factor authentication option into the Security tab.
- Modularized DHCP Server into a package.