How to enjoy my Synology NAS music on Windows iTunes (DSM 4)
Synology NAS server is designed to serve as your multimedia center, manage and share your multimedia content with different devices. Synology DiskStation can be your iTunes Server to stream music and videos stored on your DiskStation to an iTunes client within the same local network. Synology iTunes Server also provides the Smart Playlist feature, letting you create playlists containing songs that match the criteria you specify.
This article will guide you through the steps to stream music and videos with Synology iTunes Server to an iTunes client on a Windows PC, and use the smart playlist.
- Before you start
- Manage iTunes Server
- Enjoy Music and Videos on Windows iTunes clients
- User smart playlist
This article assumes that you have done the following tasks for your DiskStation:
- Created a volume on your DiskStation (See here).
- Created a shared folder on your DiskStation (See here).
- Enabled File Station.
- Installed and run iTunes Server in Package Center.
- Installed iTunes on your Windows PC.
Refer to Quick Installation Guide for more information about hardware and software installation. You can also see Synology DiskStation User's Guide (available at Synology's Download Center) for a general idea about topics related to this article and how to setup port forwarding for connecting to the internet.
This section explains how to manage the iTunes Server on your DiskStation.
To manage iTunes Server:
- Log in to your DiskStation as admin or user who has the privilege to write, go to Main Menu > iTunes Server.
- Enter your Shared name.
- Tick Require password and enter a password if you want iTunes users to enter a password before accessing your shared folders.
- Click Apply.
- Audio: MP3, M4A, M4P
- Video: MOV, MP4, M4V
- Playlist: WPL, M3U
This section explains how to enjoy music and videos on a Windows iTunes client.
To access music and videos on a Windows iTunes client:
- Launch iTunes on your PC.
- Go to SHARED, and browse to the iTunes server with the shared name you entered.
- Enter the Password, and click OK.
- You can access all the music and videos stored on your DiskStation.
This section explains how to create a smart playlist, which can automatically include certain types of songs that match specific criteria. iTunes clients will be able to play the smart playlist you created.
To create a smart playlist:
- Go to Main Menu > iTunes Server.
- Click Smart Playlist to open the Smart Playlist window.
- Click Create, name the playlist, and click OK.
- Click Add Rule to set the rules, and click OK.
To edit a smart playlist:
- Do one of the following to start editing:
- Select the item you want to edit and click Edit.
- Double-click the item.
- Modify the rules by choosing items from the drop-down menus.
- Click Add Rule if you want to add a rule.
- Select a rule and click Delete Rule if you want to delete the rule. Click OK.
To delete a smart playlist:
- Select the smart playlist you want to delete.
- Click Delete and then click Yes.
Need technical support? Submit Support Form