How to set up Google Cloud Print on my Synology NAS
The Synology NAS print server is designed to work with Google Cloud Print, allowing you to print files, emails, and other documents from mobile phones remotely. Simply connect your printer to a Synology NAS, enter your Google Account information, and you are ready to print out documents nearby or remotely using Google applications on any device. As long as the printer is compatible with the Synology NAS, you will be able to print and share resources from Google Cloud Print-enabled apps. The print service can also be shared with anyone using a Google Account.
This article guides you through the procedure of setting up Google Cloud Print support in order to print documents from anywhere as long as you can access your Google account.
Google Cloud Print connects your printers to your Google Account, making your home and workplace printers available to you and anyone else. You can also print out the documents via a range of applications and platforms, such as your phone, tablet, or personal computer.
This article assumes that you have already done the following:
- Connected a printer to the USB port of your Synology NAS and completed the setup (For Windows users, please refer to this article).
For basic hardware and software setup, please refer to the Quick Installation Guide for your Synology NAS. In addition, you can also see Synology NAS User's Guide for additional information. Both documents are available at the Synology Download Center.
This section explains how to change DSM settings in order to allow Google Cloud Print support and start printing documents from anywhere.
- Log in to DSM using an account belonging to the administrators group.
- Go to Control Panel > External Devices.
- Go to Printer, select your printer and then click Google Cloud Print.
- In the pop-up window, click Login and enter your Google Account credentials. Continue with authentication between Google Cloud Print and your Synology NAS.
- Return to Printer, and go to Printer Manager > Set Up Printer.
- Tick Enable Google Cloud Print, and choose your printer's brand and driver from the drop-down menus. You can also choose to check the box marked Enable fit-to-page to automatically scale your print jobs to your printer paper size.
- Click Save and then Close. You should now be able to print documents from Google applications using the printer connected to your Synology NAS.
Clicking the Google Cloud Print link lets you manage printers and print jobs on Google Cloud Print's webpage.