Btrfs File System
Evolvement of the next-generation file system
Btrfs file system is able to auto-detect corrupted files (silent data corruption) with mirrored metadata, and recover broken data using the supported RAID volumes, which include RAID 1, 5, 6, 10, F1, and SHR.
Instant SMB server-side copy
The standard SMB server-side copy requires processing time, even when copying data to the same volume. With the help of Btrfs fast-clone technology, you can achieve instant file copy over SMB on your computer if the source and destination are both on the same Btrfs volume.
Extended Btrfs coverage
DSM 6.1 brings Btrfs file system to more Synology NAS models. Enjoy the powerful features of the next-generation file system. Learn more about Btrfs applied models
Active Directory Server
A comprehensive tool for user and resource management
Transform your Synology NAS to serve as a domain controller and streamline IT maintenance by creating policies to automatically install certain software or system updates on all of your employees' computers without the need to visit each one individually. Watch the video tutorial
Fetch what you need in a flash
Press Ctrl+F on the DSM desktop to start an all-system search: from multimedia files, DSM applications, to help tips, and to contents in Synology Note Station and Synology Office. Universal Search instantly returns accurate search results, and offers quick preview into file contents and metadata with just one click.1
USB Copy 2.0
Copy data between Synology NAS and USB/SD devices
With a few simple settings in USB Copy, files and folders can be automatically copied from your Synology NAS to an attached USB/SD device or vice versa. Once a USB/SD device is connected to your NAS, data can be immediately transferred and backed up. Learn more about USB Copy 2.0
Replication, backup, and recovery for data availability
Snapshot Replication in DSM 6.1 introduces encrypted shared folder replication for data-sensitive businesses, local replication for an additional layer of protection, and automatic pause/resume during replication to efficiently optimize network bandwidth. Learn more about Snapshot Replication
Manage storage devices at one single entry-point
A brand new package optimized with Microsoft's System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM), allowing an IT administrator to manage multiple Synology NAS servers as storage nodes via SCVMM's centralized user interface. See here for applied models.
Enjoy the flexible backup solution on the latest macOS
You can now designate multiple shared folders with specific usage quotas (available on Btrfs volumes) to use as backup destinations, preventing unauthorized access or overcapacity. In addition, SMB is now supported on Time Machine on macOS Sierra.
Storage Manager with Seagate IronWolfTM Health Management
Effectively monitor the health status of your IronWolf drives on Synology NAS
Storage Manager is now integrated with Seagate’s IronWolf Health Management, providing live drive health monitoring and suggested actions. The Iron Health Management aims to minimize impact to drive health and reduce probability of catastrophic data loss due to extreme operational and environmental factors.3
- Extended RAID F1 support: RAID F1 is now available on more Synology NAS models to take advantage of the new RAID type designed for all flash storage.
- SMB 4.4 upgrade: Supports sparse files, saving space while archiving image files of virtual machines.4
- Nested group on Directory Server: Nested group architecture is now supported in Directory Server, allowing a more intuitive and easier way for user management.
- Offline authentication on Radius Server: The new offline authentication leverages the cache mechanism for convenient login even when the Active Directory domain server is offline temporarily.
- Migration from SHR-1 to SHR-2: Performing migration from SHR-1 (one-disk redundancy) to SHR-2 (two-disk redundancy) allows greater flexibility of storage expansion and better data protection.
- DSM code sign: Much like your phone is able to block applications from untrusted sources, your Synology NAS can also block DSM patches that don't match the right sign code, adding an extra layer of security to your stored data.
- Package Center auto-repair: If some packages become broken after a DSM upgrade and require an update, DSM can now automatically fix them during the upgrade to ensure the entire process is smooth.
- Universal Search is not supported on NVR216 and EDS14.
- Available on selected models only. Refer to the release notes for detailed information.
- IronWolf Health Management is available on selected Seagate IronWolf and IronWolf Pro drives.
- For selected models only.