Barnwood Park School
"Taking an overly complex setup prone to failure and turning it into a single, reliable solution with space for future expansion means we are prepared for the current and any future needs of the school. The quality of the cameras is cracking and the night vision is great!"Daniel Bourton, Head of IT, Barnwood Park School
The school fosters a "welcoming and inclusive environment," according to educational regulatory body Ofsted, and has earned a reputation as one of the most-improved schools in the country.
In the past, Barnwood Park had limited CCTV coverage, using a multitude of different camera systems and NVRs of different makes and models. This made it difficult for staff to quickly find the right footage in order to resolve incidents, and it often took time to pore over recorded footage to ascertain facts after an incident. As the school grew in size, the older systems proved less viable. With these issues in mind, the staff were searching for a new solution that required little maintenance, had future-proof expansion capabilities, and a simpler way of gleaning information from recorded footage so the staff can save time and focus on their main duties.
After ordering 2 x SA3400 units, 40 x BC500 bullet cameras and 45 x TC500 turret cameras, the 85 cameras were distributed throughout the premises, with the bullet cameras recording at 15 FPS outdoors and turret cameras recording at 25 FPS indoors. Using one of the SA3400 units as a host, the cameras were effortlessly integrated using a VLAN by searching across the IP range using Surveillance Station's inbuilt search function and finding all of them. Recorded footage is encrypted and stored on the SA3400 units with a 45 day retention period using RAID, and drives can be removed or swapped out if needed without disruptions to the rest of the system.
Reception staff have a monitoring station than enables them to observe the school's front gate and reception area, and using custom access permissions, other staff members can oversee camera feeds from around the school hall using other devices. Furthermore, their cameras are kept safe with security updates that can be easily installed across the whole fleet using the Central Management System (CMS).
Shortened response time with automated detection
Thanks to Synology's Cameras' AI-powered detection functions, reception staff and teachers on playground duty are able to have a more precise view of people and events on the premises without having to manually pore through live feeds or recorded footage.
Additionally, the greater image quality from Synology Cameras, easier management and minimal maintenance make them an ideal partner for Surveillance Station. The lack of license fees with Synology Cameras is also an advantage, reducing the total cost of ownership. Some of the other benefits include:
- Centralized management of all cameras and batch update installation through CMS
- Several live feeds can be displayed at once on one convenient screen
- Custom permissions to give relevant staff greater viewing access in certain areas than others
- Timeline allows staff to instantly find events of interest
- AI detection tools present important information faster, saving staff time.
- SA3400 × 2
- BC500 × 40
- TC500 × 45
- Centralized management of Surveillance Station and remote installation of firmware updates for Synology Cameras with CMS
- Viewing live feeds on Monitor Center in Surveillance Station
- High image quality ensures no details are missed by staff when reviewing footage
- Vehicle and people detection capabilities on Synology Cameras for a convenient, automated way to record and display information quickly