Surveillance Device License Pack
Synology Surveillance Device License Packs are designed for expanding cameras, I/O modules, intercoms, access controllers, IP speakers, and transaction devices set up on Synology Surveillance Station. By default, you would have default licenses that come with Synology NAS/NVR; extra licenses can be purchased for additional surveillance devices as your business grows.
Synology NAS/NVR comes with default licenses1 that allow you to set up and manage surveillance devices. Synology also provides three options for additional purchased licenses: 1, 4 or 8 Surveillance Device License Packs; each comes with a single license key, allowing you to activate 1, 4 or 8 surveillance devices at a time.
To find out the maximum number of surveillance devices supported on each Synology NAS/NVR, please refer to the specifications of each model.
|BC500 (Learn more)
|TC500 (Learn more)
|Synology LiveCam app
|Regular IP camera
|ArecontVision AV8185DN (Learn more)
|Fixed lenses with independent IP
|AXIS F44 (Learn more)
|Access controller (door)
|Transaction device (POS)
In the table above, you can see a detailed example of four different camera types. Certain panoramic cameras (e.g., Axis M3007) supporting on-camera dewarping may provide more than one stream (e.g., Quad View, Double Panorama, and Original View) at a time. Each regular and panoramic camera requires one license only.
There are two types of multi-lens cameras: fixed lens and removable lens. Most fixed lens cameras providing more than one stream at a time require only one license per camera. For fixed lens cameras with independent IP addresses or removable lens cameras, you will need one license per channel. For example, you can add as many as three lenses to Axis Q3709-PVE, which allows you to stream up to three channels. If you want to display all three channels in Surveillance Station, you will need three licenses. Take Axis F44 as another example. Axis F44 (with as many as four lenses) allows you to stream up to five channels, with four of the channels displaying footage from the four lenses, and the fifth channel combining the view of all four cameras. If you wish to display all five channels in Surveillance Station, you will need five licenses accordingly.
Video servers such as Vivotek VS8801 can connect to as many as eight analog cameras. In this case, you will need eight licenses accordingly. This rule also applies to video servers that are compatible with Surveillance Station.
License Activation and Management
In Surveillance Station, go to Main Menu > License > then click Add. The installation wizard will guide you through adding device licenses into Surveillance Station.
- The number of default licenses may differ. You only need to purchase extra licenses when your deployment requires more licenses than the default ones listed below:
- Synology NAS: 2 default licenses
- Network Video Recorder: 4 default licenses
- Deep Learning NVR: 8 default licenses
- One license can be applied to one Synology product at a time.
- To activate or deactivate license keys on your Surveillance Station, please make sure you can access the Internet to connect to Synology’s Authorization Server. If your NAS is designed to work in an offline environment, you can use DS cam to process the license authorization. (Learn more)
- Purchased licenses can be migrated, while default license keys cannot.
- If you have deployed Synology High Availability or a CMS failover server, there’s no need to purchase extra license keys for the failover server, as the licenses will be automatically migrated to the failover server when needed.
Surveillance Station Features
Learn more about Surveillance Station features here.
Where can I buy surveillance device licenses?
Do I need to renew my surveillance device licenses?
How do I migrate surveillance device licenses to another Synology product?
Can I migrate surveillance default device licenses to another Synology product?
Can I install or delete surveillance device licenses offline?
Where can I see installed surveillance device licenses?
- Surveillance Station running on Virtual DSM does not come with a default device license.
- You are responsible for the safekeeping of your purchased license keys in either paper or electronic form. Kindly note that Synology does not replace license keys.
- Please retain the invoice or receipt you received from the distributor as proof of purchase.
- License authorization requires a registered Synology Account.