Tiered Data Protection for Business Continuity
Traditional backup strategies present challenges like long recovery times or extraneous storage consumption. Your business needs a smart backup strategy to effectively protect against all threats and keep operations running smoothly.
Tiered data protection for deployment flexibility
Safeguard business data for any kind of IT infrastructure.
Maximize uptime with high-availability clusteringCombine two servers into a high-availability cluster, so data and applications remain accessible when local hardware malfunctions occur. Automatic fail-over allows work to continue smoothly – without the IT admin’s having to rush to the rescue immediately.
Quickly recover from accidents with snapshotsCapture point-in-time snapshots, so you can go back in time and roll back from disasters almost instantly. Thanks to self-service file restoration, employees can even recover accidentally deleted files themselves without bothering the IT admin.
Replicate the snapshots
Defend against natural disasters with off-site replicationReplicate snapshots to a remote Synology NAS so hot data is mirrored off-site. If the primary server in the main site is affected by a natural disaster, you can continue operations by quickly switching over to the secondary site.
Efficiently archive data with multi-version backupRetain historical archives by backing up data to a wide range of destinations, including external drives, remote Synology NAS, or even your preferred public cloud service. Advanced features like encryption or deduplication keep sensitive data private and reduce storage consumption.
Ready for your virtualized environment
Ensure business data and virtual machines in iSCSI LUNs remain safe and available in the event of disaster.
- Take snapshot as frequently as 15 minutes for iSCSI LUNs, instantly protecting the storage for virtualization.
- Application-based snapshots for virtual workloads running on VMware and Hyper-V ensure data consistency on virtual machines.
- The support of VMware Site Recovery Manager facilitates the recovery process by starting disaster recovery directly via VMware vCenter Server.
Extend the scope of data protection
Add additional layers of protection to your business data.
See how these organizations achieved more with Synology.
Synology Hyper Backup package provides a cost-effective backup solution which can drastically reduce required storage, while preserving as many recovery points as needed.
We made the right decision by choosing Synology RackStation RS4017XS+ for the teaching and research environment of Medical University of Vienna.
Thanks to the intuitive deployment process of Synology C2 Backup, we configured our backup copies and redefined our new backup policy in minutes.
Synology Hyper Backup package provides a cost-effective backup solution which can drastically reduce required storage, while preserving as many recovery points as needed.Learn more
We made the right decision by choosing Synology RackStation RS4017XS+ for the teaching and research environment of Medical University of Vienna.Learn more
Thanks to the intuitive deployment process of Synology C2 Backup, we configured our backup copies and redefined our new backup policy in minutes.Learn more
- Learn more about the pricing plan.
- Backs up folders, packages, and DSM configurations in deduplicated image format
- Retains up to 65,535 versions
- Supports cross-version deduplication, renamed and copied file deduplication, and data compression
- Version control:
- Regular or Smart Recycle rotation ready
- Version lock prevents a specific version from automatic rotation
- Supported destinations:
- Local shared folders and external storage devices
- Shared folders and external storage devices on a remote server
- Public cloud destinations including Amazon S3, S3-compatible storage, Microsoft Azure (Global and China), HiDrive, IBM SoftLayer, RackSpace, and other OpenStack Swift compatible servers and Synology C2 Backup
- Offers granular recovery
- Allows single file restoration
- Allows data recovery on Windows and Ubuntu using Hyper Backup Explorer
- Backup repositories are portable:
- Export the initial backup version to an external storage device and deliver the external storage device to the destination for data uploading
- Reuse a backup repository by relinking
- Enable client-side encryption to ensure data confidentiality at the backup destination
- Data and file name encryption with AES256-CBC
- Key ring encryption with RSA2048
- Supports transmission encryption
- Back up encrypted shared folders
- Customize your own retention policies
Hyper Backup Vault
- Avails itself to be the backup destination of other Synology NAS servers running Hyper Backup
- Offers an overview of storage consumption of the vault
- Launch Hyper Backup Explorer for browsing
- Offers backup log per task
High Availability Manager
- Form a high-availability cluster with two identical Synology NAS servers in order to maximize service uptime
- Automatic unexpected failover on CIFS/iSCSI/FTP/AFP/NFS service failure; power outage; storage space crash; data network disconnection
- Supports Quorum Server to effectively minimize the occurrence of split-brain
- VLAN support
- After creating a cluster with Synology High Availability, the max number of volumes and block-level iSCSI LUNs altogether will be limited to 64
- View recent system information, iSCSI Target connection history and file difference in each shared folder when a split-brain error occurs
- Comprehensive management interface and easy-to-follow troubleshooting
- High Availability does not support DHCP Server, MailPlus Server, Peta Space and Virtual Machine Manager
- Local snapshots of shared folders on Btrfs file system and advanced file LUNs
- Schedule snapshot and customize retention rules
- Remove or lock versions
- Browse and restore snapshots in the #snapshot folder in all file services or File Station
- View snapshot data in the Previous Versions tab in the Properties dialogue on Windows PC.
- Support up to 1,024 snapshots per shared folder*
- Support up to 256 snapshots per iSCSI LUN*
- Replicate data to another destination by taking and sending snapshots to local or another server. The maximum number of replication tasks is determined by different modules of Synology NAS. For more information, please go to Synology's official website
- Schedule replication and customize retention rules
- Send the initial replication copy via the Internet or storage devices
- Replicate data to multiple destination servers from the same source server
- Statistics of transferred size and sync duration are recorded and displayed as a report
- Overview topology of data replication
- Supports port forwarding by customizing address and port of a replication task
- Encrypt replication transmission
- iSCSI LUN replication can be managed via Synology Snapshot Replication or VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager. (Installing Synology SRA on VMware Site Recovery Manager servers is required.)
- Pause/resume replication transmission to optimize bandwidth
- Restore to a previous version via various methods including common protocols, File Station, and Windows File Explorer.
- Perform a failover on shared folders or iSCSI LUNs and make the replicas on the destination server writable when the source server is not healthy
- Perform a re-protect action to sync data on the two servers again after performing a failover
- Perform a test failover to make a clone and run all necessary tests in the event of disaster
- Perform a force failover when the source server is healthy
- Recommended number of hosted files: up to 5,000,000*
- Recommended number of concurrent connections for PC clients: up to 2,000*
- Supports accessing and managing files via web browsers, desktop clients, and mobile platforms
- Supports creating folders and adding files of any types from the local end and Synology NAS
- Supports managing files with folders, labels and stars
- Supports moving and copying items to a different location including Team Folders and folders shared by others
- Supports sorting items by title, modified time, type, owner and size
- Supports various view modes including list view, detail view, thumbnail view and tile view
- Supports various hotkeys for efficient file management
- Supports searching for files using various criteria including keyword, location, type, owner, labels, size and date
- Customizable permission settings for folders and files to be set as private, internal or public
- Supports advanced protection links to add password and validity period for public file sharing
- The viewing, editing and managing permission can be customized for each account
- Supports Team Folder, which any account with permission can access directly without extra sharing settings required
- Support grasping major updates via notifications
- Supports operation logs and log export
- Supports downloading and restoring historical versions of file
- Link any folder to Synology Chat channels to notify users of important updates
- Administrators can set up user’s My Drive and Team Folder from the Drive admin console
- Administrators can restrict non-admin users’ privilege to share files publicly or with specific accounts
- Supports syncing files and folders between PCs and Synology Drive with Drive PC Client
- All files in My Drive, Team Folder, and Shared with me can be synced to users’ desktop
- Administrators can configure different sync profiles for each user to limit the file size and types that can be synced
- Provides client lists for viewing connected devices
- Keeps up to 32 historical file versions with incremental data
- Folder-level restoration with timeline navigation is supported for administrators in Drive Admin Console
- Administrators can adjust content indexing service’s scope for Drive folders
- Administrators can customize the maximum number of file versions for each Team Folder or user’s My Drive
- Administrators can disable the versioning function
- Synology documents, spreadsheets and slides can be created in Synology Drive by installing the add-on package, Synology Office 3.0
- Images and videos in Synology Moments can be managed using Synology Drive
- Supports backing up the Drive package via Hyper Backup
- Please note that the figures marked in asterisks are derived from the Synology lab by using high-performance client computers with optimized network settings, and could vary in different environments.