How to play music collections stored on Synology NAS on AirPlay devices (DSM 4)
Your Synology NAS server is designed to serve as your multimedia center, and brings you a new type of entertainment experience. One key feature is the ability to stream your music collections directly to AirPlay devices such as Apple TV or AirPlay-enabled stereo systems. You no longer need to confine yourself to your computer: enhance your user experience with more freedom and new options for controlling your music.
This article will guide you through the steps to play music collections stored on Synology NAS on Airplay devices. All you need is the remote of your Apple TV (or mobile device with DS audio installed) to enjoy the music.
- Before you start
- Stream media contents from Audio Station to Apple TV
- Stream media contents from mobile device to Apple TV
This article assumes that you have done the following tasks for your DiskStation:
- Hardware installation for Synology DiskStation.
- Software installation for Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM, web-based operating system of DiskStation).
- Install and run Audio Station in Package Center (See here).
- Your AirPlay-supported device (ex: Apple TV) is set up properly.
Refer to Quick Installation Guide for more information about hardware and software installation. You can also see Synology DiskStation User's Guide (available at Synology's Download Center) for a general idea about topics related to this article and how to setup port forwarding for connecting to the internet.
This section explains how to use Audio Station to directly stream music to AirPlay devices such as Apple TV.
To use Audio Station for AirPlay streaming :
- Log in to Audio Station as admin or a user with appropriate privilege settings.
- Choose a audio source on the left panel for streaming.
- Click My computer/USB speakers/[Media renderer name] (indicating the device you have been streaming music to) to select a device you want to play music with. AirPlay devices found in the local area network will appear on the drop-down list.
- Do either of the following:
- If there is only one device, click the device to play media contents.
- If there are multiple devices, click Multiple AirPlay devices on the drop-down menu. In the window that appears, tick the checkboxes of the devices you want for music playback.
This section explains how to stream music collections onto Synology App (DS audio) on mobile device such as iPhone/iPad, and through it stream to onto Apple TV via AirPlay. Thus, no matter you are away from home or on the move, the entertainment is always ready to broadcast to other Media Renderer.
To use iPad to stream music stored on the DiskStation onto Apple TV :
- Log onto DS audio with iPad.
- Click on the Airplay icon on the top left to see the drop-down list and choose Apple TV for streaming.
- Select the song and play. The streaming would start right away.
To use iPhone/iPad as remote controller and stream music from DiskStation onto Apple TV :
If you are using DS audio as a remote controller (i.e., you would like to use AirPlay from DiskStation directly), you can change DiskStation ‘s player to AirPlay device from DS audio.
- Log onto DS audio with iPad.
- Click on the settings icon on the bottom right to select the player and choose Apple TV for streaming.
Need technical support? Submit Support Form