Make data available on your global file servers
A Synology NAS can not only serve as their local file server but also keep specific folders synchronized on every NAS in real-time – just by installing the Synology Drive packages.
- Customizable syncing : One-way or bi-directional syncing can be set up depending on whether you want to push materials to branch offices.
- Reduce bandwidth consumption & faster local access : Each office only needs to sync the files once to their NAS. All its employees can then access them on a network drive at LAN speeds.
- Change propagation : When edits are made to a file on a Synology NAS, only the changes are replicated instead of the whole file, so as to minimize bandwidth usage.
- Flexible storage option : Branch offices of different sizes can choose from a wide range of models, starting from one-bay desktop NAS to 180-bay rack mount servers.
- Historical versions : Up to 32 versions can be retained and restored by employees themselves in case they want to go back to a specific point in time, while Intelliversioning helps you keep the most important changes.
- Account management : IT admins at company headquarters can choose to manage global employee accounts by joining all NAS to the central Windows AD (including Azure AD) or LDAP domain, or offload the management to local admins by letting them set up user accounts for their server.
- Windows ACL & data quota : Support for Windows ACL enables admins to assign granular permissions to different departments, whereas user and shared folder-based quota minimize the chance of someone accidentally using up too much storage space.
Better control over versions and permissions
With the amount of data exchanged between different sites every day, Synology provides you with tools to set up proper control against inadvertent data breaches.
Introduce a cloud experience to on-premises servers
More and more modern-day workers become used to the convenience of public clouds, and that’s something you can offer them using Synology as well — on your own private cloud.
- Anytime, anywhere access : For your salesforce on the road, Synology Drive allows them to retrieve files through a web portal, a mobile app, or even syncing the required folders to their computers for offline access.
- Real-time collaboration & external sharing : With Synology Office, multiple users can now simultaneously work on the same documents, spreadsheets or slides. Shared links can be generated for any files or folders when it’s time to deliver to external clients.
A backup plan when accidents happen
As data is synced to several Synology NAS, this solution in effect provides additional redundancy for file servers at smaller branches.
Ensure file availability when disaster strikesBi-directional syncing between two sites ensures that when the file service in one location is interrupted, your employees still have a backup plan.
Centralized backup for all branch officesCritical data from branch offices can be synced to the server at the headquarters first. IT admins can then centrally back up the server to another location or to the cloud, without asking each local office to come up with their own DR solution.
Advanced data protection availableSnapshot Replication lets admins capture snapshots and replicate them to another Synology NAS to guarantee a high RPO. Hyper Backup further offers a large selection of backup destinations, including Synology C2 and other popular public clouds.
See how these organizations achieved more with Synology.
We have been using Synology for years now, and the DiskStations have become a Swiss Army knife for our IT.
Adopting Synology NAS not only makes sharing and syncing of teaching materials faster, but it also makes backing up teaching and student data more convenient.
Productions are often short, remote, and can be relocated without stopping. Synology NAS and its software allow us to meet various and evolving workflow needs in the ever-changing production industry.
- On supported models only. Performance improvement will depend on system, client, and network environments. Please refer to our compatibility list for validated adapters.
- LFF = Large form factor, 3.5” drives; SFF = Small form factor, 2.5” drives
- Using 16 TB drives: RAID 5 for DS1522+, RAID 6 for DS1821+ and DS3622xs+. Using 15.36 TB drives: One storage pool with two RAID-F1 groups for FS3400. Actual capacity is dependent on configuration and size reporting methodology. Volume limitations apply.
- Using 16 TB drives: DS1522+ and DS1821+ with the maximum number of supported DX517 Expansion Unit using RAID 5 plus internal capacity. DS3622xs+ with the maximum number of supported DX1222 expansion units using RAID 6 plus internal capacity. Using 15.36 TB drives: FS3400 with the maximum number of supported RX2417sas expansion units, using one storage pool with two RAID-F1 groups each, plus internal capacity. Volume limitations apply.
- Aggregate performance over SMB access. Testing environment
- FS3400 supports two expansion units: RX1217sas (12x LFF) or RX2417sas (24x SFF)