How Btrfs protects your company's data
Next-generation file system delivers data integrity and efficient snapshots
When dealing with large-scale data storage, businesses require a solution that prevents data corruption, while providing flexible backup tools. The next-generation Btrfs file system brings these tools to Synology NAS servers, allowing businesses and organizations to reduce maintenance overhead and efficiently store their data.
What is Btrfs?
Btrfs is a modern file system developed by multiple parties and now supported by select Synology NAS models. Btrfs was designed to address obstacles often encountered in enterprise storage systems, such as fault tolerance, management, and data protection.
What are the benefits of Btrfs?
Implementing Btrfs volumes on Synology NAS delivers various benefits for enterprise users.
Metadata mirroring and increased data availability
Btrfs file self-healing
Snapshots and data protection
Low impact, big benefit
Taking a snapshot consumes only a small amount of additional storage space, while exerting little impact on system performance thanks to Btrfs's copy-on-write architecture.
Frequent, scheduled backup
Automatically create point-in-time copies of data up to every 5 minutes without affecting performance, guaranteeing granular data backup and recovery.
Customizable retention policy
Retain up to 256 hourly, daily, or weekly recovery points according to your individual needs. Smart retention options automatically delete unneeded versions.
Capture snapshots instantly and backup data without worrying about files being modified or deleted during the backup process.
Employees can view earlier versions of files and restore them to a previous state by themselves using File Station or Windows File Explorer.
Instant SMB/AFP server-side copy
Compared with the traditional server-side copy, which requires processing time, Btrfs fast-clone technology allows instant file copy to be achieved on File Station, SMB and AFP protocols if the source and destination are both on the same Btrfs volume.
Additional benefits of Btrfs
Using the Btrfs file system on your Synology NAS brings a wide variety of benefits to DiskStation Manager and Synology packages.
Clone entire shared folders
With Btrfs, you can simply select a shared folder and make a clone of all the contents nearly instantaneously. This is useful when testing updates to websites or databases and you need a quick clone.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to configure anything special to take advantage of the data integrity features of Btrfs?
Metadata mirroring and checksums are enabled by default on all Btrfs volumes. However, copy-on-write and checksums need to be separately enabled for files.
How do I create a Btrfs volume?
Open Storage Manager and create a new volume. You will be prompted to choose a file system (btrfs or ext4) during the creation process.
Learn how to create a volume
Where can I create and restore file from snapshots?
Snapshot Replication (available on Synology NAS models that support Btrfs) includes options to take snapshots on demand or configure schedules and retention policies. You can browse and restore snapshots using Snapshot Replication, File Station, Windows File Explorer, or other file protocols.
Learn more about Snapshot Replication
How can I clone a shared folder on a Btrfs volume?
Open Control Panel and go to the Shared Folder tab. Then click the arrow on the create button and select Clone to clone a shared folder.
Would you like to know more?
See the links below for technical details regarding Btrfs and integration with Synology NAS.
Data Protection White Paper
Get technical details regarding the wide variety of data backup and protection tools provided by Synology NAS.
Do you already have a Synology NAS with Btrfs? See how to use all the features with DSM Help
- FS2500, HD6500, RS422+, DS3622xs+, DS2422+, DVA1622
- RS4021xs+, RS3621xs+, RS3621RPxs, RS2821RP+, RS2421RP+, RS2421+, RS1221RP+, RS1221+, DS1821+, DS1621xs+, DS1621+, DVA3221
- FS6400, FS3600, FS3400, SA3600, SA3400, SA3200D, RS820RP+, RS820+, DS1520+, DS920+, DS720+, DS620slim, DS420+, DS220+
- UC3200, RS1619xs+, RS1219+, RS819, DS2419+II, DS2419+, DS1819+, DS1019+, DVA3219
- FS1018, RS3618xs, RS2818RP+, RS2418RP+, RS2418+, RS818RP+, RS818+, DS3018xs, DS1618+, DS918+, DS718+, DS418, DS418play, DS218+, DS218
- FS3017, FS2017, RS18017xs+, RS4017xs+, RS3617xs+, RS3617RPxs, RS3617xs, DS3617xsII, DS3617xs, DS1817+, DS1517+
- RS18016xs+, RS2416RP+, RS2416+, DS916+, DS716+II, DS716+, DS416play, DS216+II, DS216+
- RS815RP+, RS815+, RC18015xs+, DS3615xs, DS2415+, DS1815+, DS1515+, DS415+
- RS3614xs+, RS3614RPxs, RS3614xs, RS2414RP+, RS2414+, RS814RP+, RS814+
- RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS713+
- RS3412RPxs, RS3412xs, RS2212RP+, RS2212+, RS812RP+, RS812+, DS3612xs, DS1812+, DS1512+, DS412+
- RS3411RPxs, RS3411xs, DS3611xs