Installing Active Backup for Business Agent (DSM)
Please read the following before installing this beta software
For evaluation only - This beta software is for evaluation purposes only and should not be installed on critical equipment or in production environments. We strongly recommend reading the Release notes section before installing it. Synology cannot be held responsible for any damages, such as accidental data loss, caused by this beta software.
Not downgradable - After installation of this beta application, you will not be able to downgrade to a previous official version of this software.
To install the beta software on your Synology NAS
- Active Backup for Business Agent (DSM) allows you to back up your Synology NAS's entire system. As the backup destination, Active Backup for Business must be installed on another Synology NAS.
- Compatibility limitations for the source and destination Synology NAS servers during system recovery:
- System recovery can only be done if the destination NAS model is identical or a successor to that of the source NAS (e.g., DS 218+ can be restored on another DS218+ or DS220+).
- The number of drives installed on the destination NAS should be more than or equal to that of the source NAS.
- The drives on the destination NAS must be installed in the exact same slot positions as the source NAS.
- The destination NAS must be comprised of drives of the same type. That is, the destination NAS cannot contain a mix of SSDs and HDDs.
- Full-system backup provides comprehensive protection for your Synology NAS, including user data, system configurations, and packages.
- File/folder level and full-system level restoration are provided for flexible recovery solutions in different scenarios.
- Block-level and incremental backup provides fast backup speed and efficient use of space. Change Block Tracking (CBT) technology intelligently tracks data changes to greatly reduce the time and computing resources needed for each backup task.
- Supports data deduplication to better utilize the space on the remote backup destination.
- Supports encrypted data transfer to protect data during backup and restorations.
- 21-series: RS4021xs+, RS3621xs+, RS3621RPxs, RS2821RP+, RS2421+, RS2421RP+, RS1221+, RS1221RP+, DS1821+, DS1621xs+, DS1621+, DVA3221
- 20-series: RS820+, RS820RP+, DS1520+, DS920+, DS720+, DS620slim, DS420+, DS220+, FS3600
- 19-series: RS1619xs+, DS2419+II, DS2419+, DS1819+, DS1019+, DVA3219, FS6400, FS3400, SA3400, SA3600
- 18-series: RS3618xs, RS2818RP+, RS2418+, RS2418RP+, DS3018xs, DS1618+, DS918+, DS718+, DS418play, DS218+, FS1018
- On a Synology High Availability cluster, users need to manually restart DSM after connecting Active Backup for Business Agent (DSM) to the backup server for the first time to apply backup settings.