In today's information oriented world, data is important and valuable to businesses large and small. To ensure that data is protected from catastrophic disasters such as fire, flood, burglary, a remote off-site backup is required.
Today, there is a cornucopia of ways to backing up data off-site, such methods include a cost per gigabyte per month service to a third-party service; or a highly disciplined individual who will backup the important data and carry the backup off site; or hiring an expensive consultant who purchase expensive software and manage it on expensive PCs.
All Synology Servers support remote backup, entitled as Network Backup. A small office can utilize two Synology Servers to have one server backup to another server remotely. This embedded Network Backup function has the following benefits:
- Economical: There are no monthly service fees with the Synology product; users can backup as much data for their needs. Capacity near limitless as users can upgrade their disk when needed.
- Easy-to-Use: Using Synology's intuitive web user interface, users can easily create backup tasks, without the need for extensive computer knowledge.
- Auto-email Notification: The Synology Email Notification will inform the administrator should the backup fail, along with other notifications, such as RAID volume full, defective sectors. This allows the administrator to take the appropriate action before permanent damage on the data occurs.
- Scheduled Backup: Synology's Network Backup allows the creation for automated scheduled backups; this eliminates the need for a disciplined individual to manage the data backup.
- rsync Support: Users can backup Synology Servers to another Syology server or another rsync server and vice-versa. The rsync server can be either a Linux or Windows platform, running the rsync service, such as DeltaCopy for Windows. This gives maximum flexibility for IT professionals to implement their backup plan.
With Synology's economical and easy to use Network Backup, small businesses can now begin to enjoy remote backup functions that were originally only available for enterprise customers. Enterprise customers can easily incorporate Synology’s Network Backup with their backup plan given the high diversity of rsync capabilities.
I recently purchased a 406E and after putting in the hard drives which only took a few minutes, I plugged the unit into my switch and put the disc in the server, moments later the software had done its thing, mapped the drive automatically and I went to my back up software, in this case it is Veritas BackUp Exec,……. I put one more across the plant in another building for redundancy.. this is a network with out Internet access, but with the security of off site backup.. very cool.. We are a Ready Mix Concrete plant and tapes just don’t cut it in this industry, no matter how clean you try to be dust gets in.. its the nature of the business and when I got a hold of your product I was stoked.. these boxes rock! and we know rocks..
Koncrete Industries, Inc.