What should I do if my Western Digital Green Power Disk has a dramatic high Load/Unload Cycle Count?
This scenario can be resolved by updating WDIDLE3 timer to lower the rate when the HDD will encounter a Load/Unload Cycle. This solution applies to both Enterprise drives including the WD VelociRaptor, WD RE3, WD RE2-GP and WD RE2, and Desktop drives such as the WD Caviar® Black™, WD Caviar® Blue™ and WD Caviar® Green™. Please follow the steps below to update the WDIDLE3 timer:
- Download the WDIDLE3 from Here.
- Create a USBBOOT by which you can access to DOS environment. ( Refer to http://blogs.oreilly.com/digitalmedia/2004/10/utility-to-make-usb-flash-driv.html )
- Attach the WD drive(s) to the motherboard of your computer.
- Reboot the computer and enter to DOS environment.
- Type WDIDLE3 /S300.
- The operation is done successfully if you see the message of “Idle 3 timer is enabled and set to 300 (five minutes)”.
- If you still fail to operate this or have other inquiries regarding to this issue please contact Western Digital.